If you would like to enter sweet peas in the next Froggatt Show here are a few tips that will help improve your chances of success. Sweet peas are a popular choice for showing and the attention to detail when selecting blooms for display along with care transporting them will go a long way to helping you score well.
- Select strong spikes with well spaced blooms
- Choose specimens with top blooms that are “well expanded” and the lower blooms fresh
- Flowers should be large and well-formed and free from spots and scorching
- Stage blooms with strong colours, without running and a silken sheen.
- Display long straight stems with lengths proportionate to flower size
- Show fading blooms
- Stage stems with seed pods
- Select crooked or ill-proportioned stems
- Choose blooms that are small for your chosen cultivar
Exceeding maximum sizes could lead to your entry being disqualified or at least marked down.
|Trueness of colour and freshness of blooms||6 Points|
|Placement of bloom||5 points|
|Size and form of bloom||4 points|
|Stem proportionate to size of bloom||3 points|
|Effectiveness of staging||2 points|
These hints are derived from the RHS guidelines.