This class forms part of the Open Section for Vegetables and Fruit, and is covered by Show Regulations printed in the schedule.
In addition, there are some rules for this class only.
- Only one potato to be planted in each bucket. Potato to be provided by the Society in March.
- Bucket size – maximum diameter 12” (approx 30cms), volume not to exceed 3 gallons (approx 13.5 litres). Remember this will be heavy, and you will have to bring it to the Show Field. The potatoes must not be grown in a greenhouse or poly-tunnel.
- The potato crop will be judged on weight. In the event of a tie, the crop will be judged on quality, according to RHS rules.
- The tops of the potatoes should be cut to approx. 4”. Do not dig up your crop yourself. This will be done during judging. The bucket will be emptied, the crop weighed, soil placed back in the bucket and the potatoes piled on top.
- The crop can be claimed back by the entrant at 5.00pm or alternatively left for auction.
- The minimum age for entering this class is 5 years old.
- The prize money will be: First prize £5, Second prize £3, Third prize £1.